“You are what you eat” – Native American proverb. This small proverb is one which sums it all up why pork is forbidden in Islam. A pig is the filthiest of all animals which eats everything from filth to its own babies.
It has little morals and the sense of a family unit which exists in other animals is simply not there in the pig. It mates with whoever it wishes and is among the most clumsiest, dirty and immoral of all animals.
From the very beginning Islam has prohibited the consumption of pork. In Quran Allah has forbidden pork in four different places.
In surah Baqarah Allah states, ‘‘Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which hath been invoked a name other than that of Allah.’’
It is clear from this verse that the consumption of pork is a high sin in Islam.
For century’s scholars from around the world pondered at the reasons for this verse. Finally modern era science has come up with the answer. Some of the main facts discovered about pork are listed below:
1. Pork contains toxins: Pigs have one of the quickest digestive systems which make them unable to digest toxins properly. These toxins than subsequently become a part of human diet.
2. High cholesterol levels: Pork is regarded as a meat that contains the most cholesterol and the fatty acids. It not only causes high cholesterol levels but also contributes to obesity.
3. Causes cancer: Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.
4. High uric acid content: Pork has one of the highest uric acid content, extremely harmful to the body.
5. Impact of pork on human behavior: Science has proven that what a man eats has an impact on his behavior. Immorality in the pig such as inviting others to mate with its partner, eating filth all ultimately degrade human behavior.
These facts should remove any doubts in the minds of those who question forbidding pork and hopefully enlighten others on the wisdom in Islam. People can eat whatever they desire but ultimately they will be the ones who suffer from its negative impact.