Pakistan is a place of many surprises. From being mocked and labelled as a hopeless basket case only three years ago, it once again arose to be the top emerging economy today and after the emergence of Pak China economic corridor things are only expected to get rosier so here are five reasons why Pakistan is the coolest place to be in in the 21st century.
1. Pakistan is today the world’s sixth biggest market and rapidly increasing. With the development of Pak- China corridor and increased regional linkages which are expected to make Pakistan the trading hub of Asia in the future, the purchasing power of Pakistani consumers is only expected to increase further. Even in these grim times motorcycle sales have increased four times over the last ten years.
2. Despite all adversities in the last ten years Pakistan economy has boomed (imagine what would have happened if the circumstances surrounding the economy were better). Retail Sector is BOOOOMING. Clothing, electronics, food, healthcare, FMCG, automotive demand has more than doubled in the last ten years. GDP growth rate does not reflect these factors. Even real estate prices are doubling. 50% to 100% growth is quite common in USD terms for many listed companies in KSE yet KSE stocks are still considered undervalued compared to India. Karachi stock exchange is the World’s 2nd Best Performing stock market.
3. Pakistan is not the world’s most dangerous country. You are 50 times more likely to be murdered in St. Louis than killed in a terrorist attack in Pakistan. You are 10 times more likely to be killed in a car accident in the US than killed in a terrorist attack in Pakistan.
4. Despite e-commerce witnessing a double digit growth in Pakistan in the last ten years, it still caters to only a small portion of the Pakistani population and there is a huge empty niche in this part of the Pakistani economy. There has been a rapid emergence of branchless products in recent years to cater to this demand including UBL Omni, EasyPaisa, Mobicash, TimePey. Entrepreneurs are rushing to fill this space. There are currently 30 million internet users in Pakistan and this number is expected to rise to 65 million in the next five years.
5. And most importantly those factors that destabilized Pakistani economy in the last ten years are nearing their end. With the army’s operation against terrorists almost at an end and for the first time in Pakistani history the corrupt figures in both politics and military being targeted and exposed by both the Pakistani media and civil society, there is bound to be a near end for this malice in our society. Even the bhai hiding in London is about to be busted.