We’ve all done it. Forgotten something important or of value in a cab, a plane, or indeed an Uber. We’re also no stranger to the sinking feeling we go through in that moment of realization.
And while it is fantastically easy to get your lost items back from your Uber, this year’s Lost & Found Index highlights some of the most absent-minded riders in the region.
Providing a glimpse into what our riders most commonly forget, the index also lists some of the more surprising items they tend to leave behind inadvertently.
It also identifies the most forgetful cities, as well as the day of the week when riders are at their forgetful best, or worst.
As per this index for MENAP region (the Middle East, North Africa & Pakistan), on June 1, 2018, forgetfulness was at its peak in Pakistan – riders throughout the country forgot the most items on this day in their Ubers.
Pakistan follows trends of the rest of the region with backpacks being the most forgotten item, followed by mobile phones.
However, the best news coming out of this index is the fact that none of Pakistan’s cities make the top 5 in the ‘Top 10 Most Forgetful Cities’ list; Riyadh takes the top slot, followed closely by Cairo and Jeddah with Dubai placed at number five and Lahore at number six.
Karachi and Islamabad come in at 8 and 9, respectively. As for the days and times we seem to be most forgetful these tend to be towards the end of the week, as on Thursdays and Saturdays, between 1300 Hrs and 1500 Hrs our absent mindedness peaks.
When it comes to unique items forgotten in Ubers across the MENAP region, Pakistan certainly takes the prize, as one rider forgot a cat, while another forgot their denture.
With Mercury falling into retrograde, over the past year we’ve seen our riders forget backpacks, phones, cameras, and even jewelry! But the good news is that it is very easy to get back your forgotten items through the Uber app by simply tapping “Your Trips” and selecting the trip where you left something behind, then tapping “I lost an item”, following which you can contact the driver to get your prized possessions back. You can also watch this video for more details.
The 10 Most Commonly Forgotten Items in the MENAP region:
- Phones and cameras
- Wallets and purses
- Headphones and speakers
- Water bottles and thermoses
- Phone chargers
- Jewelry & makeup
The 10 Most Unique Lost Items in the MENAP region:
- Pink teddy bear in the backseat
- Wedding card invitation
- Dokha Set
- Kids scooter
- Family photo
- Board game
- A sibling!
- Concert tickets
The 10 Most “Forgetful” Cities in the MENAP region
- Eastern Province
How to retrieve lost items:
If you’re one of those people who left something behind, look no further than this video, which outlines the simple steps you can take the next time you leave something behind in your Uber.
The best way to retrieve a lost item is to call the driver – but if you leave your phone itself in an Uber, you can log in to your account on a computer. Here’s what to do:
- Tap “Your Trips” and select the trip where you left something
- Tap “I lost an item”
- Tap “Contact driver about a lost item”
- Scroll down and enter the phone number you would like to be contacted at. Tap Submit.
- If you lost your personal phone, enter a friend’s phone number (you can do this by logging into your account on a computer, or using a friend’s phone).
- Your phone will ring and connect you directly with your driver’s mobile number.
- If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you.
- If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you.